Sunday, December 9, 2012

There is a couch


It was early - very early in the morning. The phone rang about 1:30 this morning - then I had to call parents about their son who had been taken to the hospital. I couldn't go back to sleep - go figure...  Too many thoughts of the student, those parents shaken out of bed by my phone call, their worries, thoughts of the worries I have about my own children - as well as plenty of other thoughts about my job.

My job, my work, my vocation, my 7:30-5:15 with lunch at my desk and evenings after my kids go to bed job, my calling...

Back in Minnesota, there is a couch. It sits in a small office with one window up on the hill in St. Peter. Many people know the couch- In my time with the couch, it served many uses - storage shelf, coloring table, sorting machine, footrest, hiding place, meeting room, Sabbath space, study nook...

Most of the time however, it was a safe place. Many have shared their joys, their sorrows, their anger and frustration, their secrets, their dreams - their hearts - on the couch. Many have called it magic - some I imagine, have quietly cursed having had to sit there~

I am thankful so many found time to sit on the couch - to share outside of themselves all that they were living....  I treasure every moment  and I hope those who have known the couch have benefited from their time with it. My 10 years with the couch is a gift I can never repay~

Here in Colorado, there is a couch...

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I know that my college experience was deeply enriched by that couch. I wouldn't be the person I am right now without that couch.

    But really, we all know "couch" is really just code for "amazing mentor sitting across from you while you sat on the couch and talked/laughed/vented/sobbed".

    Miss you so much, Troy.

    -Alison Oppenheimer

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a perpetual couch-sitter...someone who didn't think she could ever make it...

    Someone who got flowers on her graduation day from someone stationed across the world.

    Someone whose life was changed by you.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete