Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lessons from the Ice

Ice Climbing. Think about it for just a moment . . . . . 

I would guess that most of you could quite easily use the activity of ice climbing to share lessons about leadership, supervision, working with students, and so on. You might talk about "overcoming obstacles," "going for the top," "pushing yourself," "getting support from others, and all that jazz that would come from the use of the metaphor 'climbing a mountain' to explain the concept of leadership.

Here is what I would share as Lessons from the Ice.

Contemplate

Contemplate
Contemplate on what you about to do - and what you have done. This is my favorite picture from my ice climbing trip this winter. I'm not even sure who took it - a student who was also on the trip most likely. I certainly look the part of an 'ice climber' - but here is where I paused. I took a moment, a brief moment, to think fully and deeply about what I was about to do. This was certainly not the first 'adventurous' thing I had done - but the moment and the activity deserved pause...

When is the last time you paused to consider the impact of your work and what you have learned along the way?


Companions

Companions
Companions make the journey. I was lucky enough to go ice climbing with a dear friend, Amy Howard. She is my friend, my sounding board, my confidant, my devils advocate, my champion, my kick in the pants. As a professional in higher education I have the great privilege of working some truly amazing people - students, student staff, professionals, and faculty alike. I know that how I do my work can make their jobs easier - and they deserve that from me - along with my thanks.

Who are your companions and how do you thank them for joining you on this journey?



Care
Care
Care for yourself and others. When ice climbing crampons are a piece of necessary equipment. For work and life, self-care is necessary equipment. If you love your work as I love mine, it would be fairly easy to work long days and offer to help with every possible idea and project - - - and then you would fail. 

How do you build balance into your life and into the lives of your colleagues?

Cherish 
Cherish what you have been given - the gifts and challenges alike. 
Look at the picture below...  What an amazing gift to be at that place on that day. Were there and are there challenges? Of course - every day - but along with the gifts, challenges inform and define who you are as a professional and as a person. 

What have you learned from the challenges and gifts - and how do you cherish and use the lessons of both?
Cherish

No comments:

Post a Comment